Monday, August 31, 2009

Trunky...

When I went on my mission to Brazil there was a term for an Elder on his way out. They were commonly referred to as being "Trunky". This means that their bags were packed and they could do nothing but talk about how excited they were to get the heck out of dodge. In my first area we had one such Elder. It was kind of a drag on everyone, like me, who was faced with the prospects of being in country for another 23.5 months!

I have been fortunate enough to have arrived here to my destination a week or so before the other members of my team. This has allowed me to see how the current surgeons interface with the team of medics and nurses. They have a very good group of motivated people here and we have some very big shoes to fill. The downside to this is both of these guys are extremely trunky! I feel very much like a green missionary in Ponta Grossa Brazil, except the people there didn't want to kill me. They are waiting for the next MEDEVAC out of here.

There was a big dust storm today followed by rain showers all afternoon, turning everything into mud. The dust here is very fine, and has the consistency of flour. It blows everywhere and gets onto everything.

I made a set of shelves today and I am quite proud of my handiwork. Tomorrow I am going to make some adjustments, like adding clothes racks and also making a night stand. I ventured out to the artillery pits today to meet my noisy neighbors. They were very friendly and invited me back sometime to fire their artillery pieces. That sounded almost as cool as the helicopter ride here!

3 comments:

  1. for some reason your posts are reminding of the movie MASH which I recently saw. Do they have psychiatrists at the FOB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a bit like Art is jealous...

    Fortunately you don't have 23.5 months in that lovely piece of real estate. Only 5 more Fast Fridays (not Sundays, right?) to go. Of course you could do it all in one week in a mini-Ramadan.

    Glad to hear you're becoming a handyman...still reminds me of Del Webb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you show pictures of your living and working spaces? The fine dirt sounds gross, like camping all the time. -SHM-

    ReplyDelete