Now that I have been out at my FOB for a couple of days now, I am learning to really appreciate that motto. There is so very much that you have to adapt to around here that you find yourself constantly having to make adjustments. Simple things like, going to the bathroom before you go to bed so you don't walk into the barbed wire surrounding the women's shower. Other more complex things are having to adapt to new surgical teams, ATLS teams and integrating yourself into the machinery without breaking it.
You have to adapt to the dust, the heat and the arid climate. Adapting to a crummy mattress (I have fashioned a pillow top mattress with my sleeping bags and an egg crate pad!) We are going to have to adapt to having four men living in cramped spaces with little privacy. Adapting to the time when I can call home and find my family awake and getting to talk with them (turns out to be around 5AM).
Seeing all of the people already here gives me great hope that I can make the changes necessary to "Adapt or Die".
The one thing that I found very refreshing was to be able to partake of the sacrament today. There were only three of us there, but to have something so familiar and base to draw upon was very comforting and refreshing.
Glad to see you made it okay to the 'stan. Keep taking pics, and let us know if you need anything. Keep your head down over there and if some shady CIA dude wants you to help go looking for "Mohammad Aban" ... don't go.
ReplyDelete-Brian
Also I think you should make your title picture a little larger.
I'm glad you made it okay! And yeah, don't go.
ReplyDeletelove, kellie